As part of its research mission, the Center for Advanced Computer Studies seeks highly motivated and talented students to join its PhD programs. This program is well suited for qualified students who seek a research or teaching career in computer science. Success in the program requires strong analytical aptitude, ability to work independently, desire to pursue long-term research projects, and ability for creative problem solving, and exceptional motivation.
Apply to the PhD in Computer Engineering Program
All students must apply to the PhD in computer engineering program through the University’s Graduate School. You should complete the online application and submit all transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and other application materials to the Graduate School.
To be admitted to the PhD in computer engineering program, you’ll need to have:
- a bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to computer engineering, computer science, or electrical engineering,
- a satisfactory GRE score,
- three letters of recommendation,
- statement of purpose, and
- the online application.
Though only a bachelor’s degree is required to apply, preference is given to applicants who already have a master’s degree in computer engineering or a related field.
If you’re an international student, there are additional materials you’ll need to submit with your application.
PhD in Computer Engineering Curriculum
The PhD in computer engineering curriculum is divided into four phases of requirements:
- Breadth, which includes 48 hours of coursework for the doctoral degree in computer engineering. The coursework covers four different areas: architecture, software, theory, and applications.
- Depth, which requires that you pass your comprehensive exams in two areas of computer engineering.
- Dissertation Proposal, which requires that you write a prospectus outlining your proposed research and then present it to your dissertation committee.
- Dissertation Execution and Completion, which is when you conduct your research, write your full dissertation, and then defend your dissertation. This phase includes 24 hours of coursework for dissertation guidance for your PhD in computer engineering.
Career Opportunities for PhD in Computer Engineering Graduates
Graduates with their computer engineering doctoral degree typically pursue careers in academia, including faculty positions at colleges and universities. Our PhD in computer engineering program is also designed for students who want to conduct design research in senior positions or work in development positions for industry, government, or universities.
These careers are high-paying, and a PhD in computer engineering is an asset when you’re looking to advance in industry or academia.